Since 2003 I have been using Drupal as a content manager system (CMS) for this web page. It was a good solution and it worked properly, although upgrades were common, some of them due to security reasons. I kept a log of the times I had to change the major software and it seems I should have made more than one upgrade per year.
* 2018-03-17 Static website * 2017-08-20 Drupal 7.56 * 2014-11-11 Drupal 7.33 * 2014-01-04 Drupal 7.25 * 2014-01-04 Drupal 6.29 * 2013-08-04 Drupal 6.28 * 2012-11-01 Drupal 6.26 * Unknown date. Drupal 6.20 * 2010-10-30 Drupal 6.19 * 2010-08-09 Drupal 6.17 * 2009-11-29 Drupal 6.14 * 2008-01-15 Drupal 6.9 * 2008-01-08 Drupal 6.8 * 2008-01-08 Drupal 5.14 * 2006-10-28 Drupal 4.7.4 * 2006-10-28 Drupal 4.6.10 * 2005-04-15 Drupal 4.6.0
That was enough. I do not want to make any point against Drupal, their developers have earned my respect, but as I maintain other 7 websites (1 Django, 1 Wordpress, 5 static) and I use heavily emacs in my daily work, I decided to migrate this website into static pages. Doing so, the flow between writing in my emacs and publishing in my web would not be as steep as when you use a CMS. All my research begins with notes in org-mode files, so perhaps a static website would be a better tool to share them as the only extra effort would be to execute the command rsync. In the world of plain text what you loose in bells and whistles you will gain in concentration, in productivity and satisfying the KISS principle.
In future articles I will publish how I made this migration and the problems I had to face until this website was up and running again.